Sunday, October 9, 2011

Are creatives missing PR opportunities?

By Steve Coll, executive creative director, Euro RSCG on  6 October 2011, BandT.
I am a massive convert to PR. But, in the spirit of full disclosure, I must begin this article with a confession. The truth is, like many other agency creatives, I used to think PR was a bit of a waste of time. Worse still, I believe I may actually have uttered those words out loud. More than once.

In my defence, this was an opinion I held way back in the dark ages, sometime around 2007. And it was a common enough point of view in mainstream ad agencies at the time. Back then, 'the PR bit' was something that happened at the end of an inter-agency presentation, with the agency creatives listening benevolently, hoping that whatever the bright-eyed PR team dreamt up wouldn't eat up too much of the precious TV budget...... Read more.