Thursday, December 1, 2011

Google and TV: Playing to Win

  |  December 1, 2011  , ClickZ.

I checked out YouTube's new Movies section fully expecting to be disappointed, because so far I've found almost every attempt at premium video online to be lacking in one way or another.
Well, I wasn't. It only took about two seconds to see that YouTube Movies passes the only test that really matters: does it have up-to-date stuff I want to watch?
"The Change-Up," "Horrible Bosses," "Bridesmaids," and lots more of the latest releases are all available. By the way, they're renting for $0.99, which is no doubt a short-term promotion, but still a great deal. The selection isn't as comprehensive as Netflix. Nonetheless, YouTube running the newest, most popular rentals available anywhere sends an immediate signal to anyone that visits the site that it's for real.
In the broader context of Google's recent and ongoing moves, my visit to YouTube Movies clarified something I've been thinking for a while: when it comes to TV (by which I mean professionally-produced, long-form video content in general), Google is playing to win.... Read more.